"I feel particularly energised and ‘fired up’ coming away from Mottisfont, a completely inspirational place. I can't thank you enough for such a beautiful afternoon." Paul A
"I will treasure the memory of the special places we encountered. I left with a feeling of peace that's impossible to describe." Diane H
“Thank you so much for such a profound and brilliant retreat, and for hosting and leading so amazingly and naturally. It was simply incredible.” Matt C
SPRING SAUNTERS 2020
Mottisfont, nr Winchester, Hants;
Thurs April 30th, Sat May 2nd, Tues May 5th, Thurs May 21st, Fri May 22nd.
1pm - 5.30pm; suggested donation (inc. reduced entrance fee) £25, or £20 for members of the National Trust)
with Brian Draper and Howard Green
I'm thrilled to say that the National Trust are once again letting us use Mottisfont for a series of Spring Saunters! It's a combination of spring wander - with Howard Green, outdoor guide for the National Trust at Mottisfont who knows the area's history, flora and fauna in inspiring detail - and spiritual reflection along the way... all in the delightful setting of Mottisfont, a 'thin place' in Hampshire I love to return to whenever I need to reconnect with myself, and God, and the simple beauty of nature.
And it's all especially exciting for Howard and I this year, with the publication of our book Soulful Nature. One of our chapters features the Spring Saunters at Mottisfont.
We've called it a 'saunter' because we're inspired by Robert MacFarlane's book The Old Ways, in which he explains that 'saunter' is "from the French ... 'a la sainte terre', meaning 'to the sacred place'."
Mottisfont is itself a sacred place, in our book - and at its heart is a well-spring that's never been known to run dry. It's a beautiful metaphor we'll use to help us journey towards our own inner well-spring, our own sacred place, on the day.
So we'd love you to join us for this unique opportunity. Places will be given on a first-come, first-served basis. Write to me at email@example.com to reserve your place.
* * *
* For more details about Mottisfont, and how to get there, visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mottisfont
* Mottisfont is a 20-minute drive from Winchester, Hampshire. If you don't have a car, I might be able to pick you up from Winchester station, and drop you back there after. Do ask me about it.
* We meet at 1pm Come prepared to walk for some of the time, and to pause for some of the time. We'll reflect together in a group, as well as spending time individually in silent contemplation. Crucially, we'll enjoy an afternoon in the company of others as we go in search of our sacred place!
* A word about our spirituality: Howard and I are Christians, and our spirituality naturally flows from that particular well-spring. But the retreat is accessible to people of all faiths and none - so if you wish to reconnect at a deeper level with yourself, with God and with the surroundings, it's for you.
* It'll be slow-paced and we'll have a short break for a takeaway cuppa halfway round.